The UBCIC Resource Centre is seeking a 16-week term full-time Archivist committed to meeting the information needs of BC First Nations communities. This position is in support of a backlog reduction project. The goal of this project is to address UBCIC’s archival backlog through the arrangement and description of the documentary heritage of UBCIC. These are primarily institutional records created by UBCIC during the course of activities supporting its mandate “to work towards the implementation, exercise and recognition of our inherent Title, Rights and Treaty Rights and to protect of our Lands and Waters, through the exercise, and implementation of our own laws and jurisdiction.”
Working with the UBCIC Librarian and Archivist, the Archivist will conduct research to determine fonds, sous-fonds, series and sub-series-level arrangement and write administrative histories. The Archivist, with the assistance of students/volunteers, will inventory the containers for which we have minimal information and will make appraisal and arrangement recommendations for our textual record backlog. These activities will facilitate access to material which has not already been described and form the basis for the development of future archival projects.
• Demonstrated experience in archival appraisal, arrangement and description (according to the Rules for Archival Description)
• Knowledge of history and issues which affect BC First Nations communities
• Understanding of preventative conservation and proper archival handling
• Ability to work both independently and in a team setting
• Strong computer skills, including MS Office
• Master of Archival Studies degree
• Experience planning and managing projects
• Experience using DB/TextWorks
• Records management experience
• Desire to work for a non-profit organization
Hours: Full Time (35 hours/week). There will be a 2-week unpaid break in December while the UBCIC offices are closed over the Christmas period.
Pay Rate: $44,000 pro-rated to 16 weeks, excluding benefits.
Please send a cover letter, resume and references to the attention of the Librarian and Archivist. If sending by email, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all candidates for their interest and regret that only those candidates who are shortlisted for an interview will be contacted. Closing date for applications is 27 October 2017.