JOB OPPORTUNITY – Union of BC Indian Chiefs, VANCOUVER
Full-Time Historical Researcher
The UBCIC Research Department has an opening for a full-time, permanent historical researcher. This is a fantastic opportunity for an historian to apply their unique skills and contribute to seeking justice for First Nations. Reporting directly to the Senior Researcher and Research Director this position will focus on advancing specific claims and supporting UBCIC Research educational initiatives to the BC First Nations research community.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Identifying, copying, scanning, labeling, and filing of relevant documents and maps from public and private archives, government offices and university libraries
- Creating and maintaining bibliographies
- Analyzing documents
- Writing research reports and memoranda summarizing documentation and setting out research findings
- Undertaking other research and administrative tasks as may be required
- Providing advice and reference services to community-based researchers
- Assisting with workshops, conferences, lectures and publications.
- Strong comprehension of specific claims research policy
- Strong understanding of reserve creation history in BC
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in relevant fields or equivalent experience
- Excellent analytical skills and previous archival research experience
- Superior writing and editing skills
- Proficient computer skills including internet skills
- Practical experience with specific claims research procedures is an asset
- Strong knowledge of the vision and goals of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs.
In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you will receive a competitive salary of $55,000-$70,000.00 per year, dependent on skills, experience and qualifications, along with a host of benefits including comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage, RRSP matching up to 2.5% of your salary, 2 weeks’ vacation to start, 5 days flex-time, paid time off for statutory holidays and winter break office closure.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and references to the attention of the Research Director. If sending by email, please send to [email protected]. We thank all candidates for their interest and regret that only those candidates who are shortlisted for interviews will be contacted. Deadline is Friday, March 1, 2024, at 4:00 p.m.
The Union of BC Indian Chiefs hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply. However, qualified Indigenous applicants will be given priority.