JOB OPPORTUNITY – Union of BC Indian Chiefs, VANCOUVER
Full-Time Historical Research Assistant
The UBCIC Research Department has an opening for a permanent, full-time Historical Research Assistant. Reporting to the Research Director, the Research Assistant will focus on the advancement of specific claims and UBCIC Research initiatives involving education, support, advocacy, and outreach to the BC First Nations research community.
The successful candidate will:
- Desire to learn best practices in applied research in a positive, interesting and rewarding workspace
- Be adaptable and flexible
- Be knowledgeable about and support the mandate and mission of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs and the UBCIC Specific Claims Research Program
- Demonstrate an understanding of BC Indigenous land rights issues and history.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Creating and maintaining specific claims project files (both hard copy and electronic files)
- Identifying, obtaining, copying, scanning, labeling, and filing relevant documents and maps from public and private archives, government offices and university libraries
- Creating and maintaining bibliographies and bibliographic databases
- Assisting researchers in the preparation of research plans and written research reports
- Undertaking other research, educational and administrative tasks as required
- Providing support on related initiatives and projects as directed by the Research Director.
- Strong comprehension of specific claims policy and understanding of reserve creation history in BC
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in relevant fields or equivalent experience
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills and previous archival research experience
- Proficient computer skills, including internet skills
- Practical experience with specific claims research procedures is an asset
- Strong knowledge of the vision and goals of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs.
In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you will receive a competitive salary of $45,000-$60,000.00 per year, dependent on skills, experience and qualifications, along with a host of benefits including comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage, RRSP matching up to 2.5% of your salary, 2 weeks’ vacation to start, 5 days flex-time, paid time off for statutory holidays and winter break office closure.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and references to the attention of the Research Director. If sending by email, please send to [email protected]. We thank all candidates for their interest and regret that only those candidates who are shortlisted for interviews will be contacted. Deadline is Friday, March 1, 2024.
The Union of BC Indian Chiefs hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply. However, qualified Indigenous applicants will be given priority.