UBCIC CHIEFS COUNCIL MEETING (HYBRID)
THIRD NOTICE, SECRETARY-TREASURER VACANCY, ELECTION NOTICE
FINAL NOTICE, DRAFT AGENDA, SHUTTLE TIMES, AND ELECTION NOTICE
February 21st, 2023
Dear Chiefs Council, sister organizations, and friends:
The next UBCIC Chiefs Council meeting will take place February 22nd – February 23rd, 2023. The hybrid meeting will be held at Musqueam Community Centre, xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Territory) with a virtual option via Zoom. We invite meeting attendees to wear pink on February 22nd in support of Anti-Bullying/Pink Shirt Day.
There will be an election for the UBCIC Active Member position, Youth Representative (notice attached). Only those communities who are Full Members in good standing (have paid their membership dues for the current fiscal year) will be eligible to vote in the election and on resolutions. Please contact Tracy Point ([email protected] or 604-831-4265) if you have not yet renewed your membership for the current fiscal.
We are pleased to announce that through acclamation, Chief Don Tom has been re-elected to the position of Vice President, Chief Marilyn Slett elected to the position of Secretary Treasurer, Elder Amelia Washington re-elected to the position of Elder Representative, and Melissa Moses re-elected to the position of Women’s Representative. If you have not already done so, please fill in the UBCIC Elector Registration form if you are eligible to vote.
We look forward to hearing from Premier Eby, Attorney General Niki Sharma, Minister Bowinn Ma, Minister Cullen, Minister Rankin, Jessica Wood and Priscilla Sabbas-Watts from the Province, and Minister David Lametti and Minister Guilbeault from Canada, as well as Special Interlocuter Kimberly Murray. As always, Mandell Pinder will provide a legal update and we will have a specific claims report. The agenda will have a climate emergency focus including hearing about flood strategy and preparing for wildfire season. We will also hear about First Nations issued permits for foraging, health governance reviews, a panel on sex discrimination in the Indian Act with Sharon McIvor, Pam Palmater and Shelagh Day; implementation of the UN Declaration and discussion on the proposed negotiations forum. There will be an update on Day Scholar Class Action – Band Class Settlement Agreement as well as on the CHRT decision, and a presentation from the Justice Council. An updated draft agenda (V2) is attached.
The meeting will follow all public health guidance and orders regarding COVID-19 safety. Please register here and reach out to [email protected] if you would like assistance with registration. Attached, please find a proxy template letter if needed.
Shuttle Bus Pick-Up Times (February 22 and 23)
River Rock Resort Musqueam Community Centre
8811 River Road, Richmond 6777 Salish Dr, Vancouver
7:30 a.m. After end of meeting
Registration for In-Person and Virtual Attendance. 2
Meeting Materials & Resolutions. 3
INFORMATION TO ATTEND UBCIC CHIEFS COUNCIL FEB 22-23, 2023
Registration for In-Person and Virtual Attendance
Please PRE-REGISTER through this link (no later than 4:00 pm on February 20th, 2023):
- Everyone must pre-register for the UBCIC Chiefs Council Zoom meeting whether attending in-person or viturally. Registration helps staff track and support meeting delegates (Chiefs, proxies, representatives), speakers and observers. Pre-registration is also required to receive a unique Zoom meeting link. UBCIC uses Zoom to register all delegates, even those attending in person. All registrants will receive a Zoom meeting link. If you are attending in person, you may ignore this link.
- Be sure to use an email address that you can access the meeting link as needed. Only those who register in advance for the UBCIC Chiefs Council meeting will receive their unique Zoom meeting link via email.
- You will receive a confirmation email upon registering and again the day prior to the meeting. Please flag the email with the Zoom meeting link as it will be required to attend the meeting.
Registration Confirmation: Once you have submitted the online registration form, you will receive an email within 48 hours indicating that your registration has been confirmed. The email will be sent from [email protected] under the subject line “UBCIC CHIEFS COUNCIL Confirmation”.
If you have indicated upon your registration that your community is not currently in good standing
(membership dues owing), please contact Tracy Point ([email protected])
or 1-604-831-4265) to arrange for payment.
Per the UBCIC Constitution and Bylaws, only members in good standing in the current fiscal year (April 1st, 2022, to March 31st, 2023) may speak from the floor or vote on resolutions brought forward during the meeting.
Registration Support: Please direct any registration questions or concerns to Angie Bain, Registration Lead ([email protected]). Angie and the registration team are also available for registration support during the meeting.
We encourage members to be prepared with a proxy letter in advance of the meeting, whether you are sending a proxy in case you need to step out briefly (and return later), or if you need a proxy to stand in for you throughout the entire meeting. Advance preparation will also help ensure that the meeting maintains quorum for voting purposes.
Attached is a proxy template letter for your convenience. You are welcome to put the wording on your own letterhead, OR you can copy, paste, and fill in the proxy letter directly into the body of an email to Elena Pennell ([email protected]). Please reach out to Elena if you have questions regarding proxy letters.
We are pleased to inform you the UBCIC will reimburse travel and accommodation costs for the Chief or the Chief's proxy for this Chiefs Council meeting if you are attending in person. We have rooms reserved at the River Rock Resort (8811 River Road, Richmond BC V6X 3P8) under the Union of BC Indian Chiefs block.
Please RSVP and book your room as soon as possible as the hotel block is limited.
Reservations can also be made by calling the hotel’s reservation department at 604-247-8900 or toll free at 1-866-748-3718 or by email [email protected]. Please quote group confirmation “Union of BC Indian Chiefs Block”. Please contact Mildred Chartrand ([email protected]) if you require assistance booking a hotel.
Meeting Materials & Resolutions
Meeting materials will be available in advance for download, rather than provided in hard copy.
Please bring your laptop if you are attending the meeting in-person so you can use the digital kit.
Draft resolutions will be provided by email to delegates and will also be available in hard copy at the meeting for those attending in person.
A draft agenda is attached and incorporates directions on priority items provided by the Chiefs Council. If you would like to suggest an agenda item for a future meeting, please don’t hesitate to call 1-800-793-9701 or email [email protected].
The health and safety of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs members and staff is of utmost importance to the organization. As such:
- Do not attend the meeting in-person if you are ill. All registrants will be provided with a Zoom link, so please join the meeting that way if you are feeling at all unwell.
- While the need to show proof of vaccination is no longer necessary, masks will still be required, including on the bus to and from the meeting.
- We strongly recommend using N95/KN95 masks, rather than cloth masks, as these have been shown to provide higher protection against the omicron variant. UBCIC will provide these. Please ensure your mask is well-fitted.
- Masks should only be removed to eat and drink.
- There will be cleaning of the meeting space throughout the day. Hand sanitizer will be provided. Please use it before and after touching common touchpoints, eating, and drinking, and removing and putting on your mask.
- Please follow any other instructions provided during the meeting to ensure participant safety. Rapid tests will also be available onsite.
- Policy Director, Andrea Glickman [email protected]
- Admin and Research Director, Jody Woods [email protected]
- Office Manager, Mildred Chartrand [email protected]
- Registration Lead/Support, Angie Bain [email protected]
- Membership Clerk, Tracy Point [email protected]
- Proxy Letters/Support, Elena Pennell [email protected]
- Draft Resolutions/Briefing notes [email protected]
- River Rock Resort, Hotel reservation dept. [email protected]
- Proxy template letter
- Resolution template
- Resolutions process
- UBCIC membership letter (fiscal year April 1st, 2022, to March 31st, 2023)
- Election notice for UBCIC Vice-President, Secretary-Treasurer, Elder’s Representative, Women’s Representative, and Youth Representative
- Nomination forms for
- Final Notice
- Draft Agenda
Showing 1 reaction