UBCIC CHIEFS COUNCIL MEETING (HYBRID)
FEBRUARY 22nd – 23rd, 2023
SECOND NOTICE AND REGISTRATION LINK
January 11th, 2022
Dear Chiefs Council, sister organizations, and friends:
The next UBCIC Chiefs Council meeting will take place February 22nd – February 23rd, 2023. The hybrid meeting will be held at Musqueam Community Centre, xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Territory) with a virtual option via Zoom. At the UBCIC’s Chiefs Council this year, there will be elections for UBCIC Vice-President, Secretary-Treasurer and the three Active Member positions (Youth Representative, Women’s Representative and Elder Representative). An official announcement and nomination forms from the Electoral Officer are attached. Only those communities who are Full Members in good standing (have paid their membership dues for the current fiscal year) will be eligible to vote. Please contact Tracy Point ([email protected] or 604-831-4265) if you have not yet renewed your membership for the current fiscal.
The meeting will follow all public health guidance and orders regarding COVID-19 safety. Please register here and reach out to [email protected] if you would like assistance with registration. Attached, please find a proxy template letter if needed.
INFORMATION TO ATTEND UBCIC CHIEFS COUNCIL FEB 22-23, 2023
Please PRE-REGISTER through this link (no later than 4:00 pm on February 20th, 2023):
- Everyone must pre-register for the UBCIC Chiefs Council Zoom meeting whether attending in-person or viturally. Registration helps staff track and support meeting delegates (Chiefs, proxies, representatives), speakers and observers. Pre-registration is also required to receive a unique Zoom meeting link. UBCIC uses Zoom to register all delegates, even those attending in person. All registrants will receive a Zoom meeting link. If you are attending in person, you may ignore this link.
- Be sure to use an email address that you can access the meeting link as needed. Only those who register in advance for the UBCIC Chiefs Council meeting will receive their unique Zoom meeting link via email.
- You will receive a confirmation email upon registering and again the day prior to the meeting. Please flag the email with the Zoom meeting link as it will be required to attend the meeting.
Registration Confirmation: Once you have submitted the online registration form, you will receive an email within 48 hours indicating that your registration has been confirmed. The email will be sent from [email protected] under the subject line “UBCIC CHIEFS COUNCIL Confirmation”.
If you have indicated upon your registration that your community is not currently in good standing
(membership dues owing), please contact Tracy Point ([email protected])
or 1-604-831-4265) to arrange for payment.
Per the UBCIC Constitution and Bylaws, only members in good standing in the current fiscal year (April 1st, 2022, to March 31st, 2023) may speak from the floor or vote on resolutions brought forward during the meeting.
Registration Support: Please direct any registration questions or concerns to Angie Bain, Registration Lead ([email protected]). Angie and the registration team are also available for registration support during the meeting.
We encourage members to be prepared with a proxy letter in advance of the meeting, whether you are sending a proxy in case you need to step out briefly (and return later), or if you need a proxy to stand in for you throughout the entire meeting. Advance preparation will also help ensure that the meeting maintains quorum for voting purposes.
Attached is a proxy template letter for your convenience. You are welcome to put the wording on your own letterhead, OR you can copy, paste, and fill in the proxy letter directly into the body of an email to Elena Pennell ([email protected]). Please reach out to Elena if you have questions regarding proxy letters.
We are pleased to inform you the UBCIC will reimburse travel and accommodation costs for the Chief or the Chief's proxy for this Chiefs Council meeting if you are attending in person. We have rooms reserved at the River Rock Resort (8811 River Road, Richmond BC V6X 3P8) under the Union of BC Indian Chiefs block.
Please RSVP and book your room as soon as possible as the hotel block is limited.
Reservations can also be made by calling the hotel’s reservation department at 604-247-8900 or toll free at 1-866-748-3718 or by email [email protected]. Please quote group confirmation “Union of BC Indian Chiefs Block”. Please contact Mildred Chartrand ([email protected]) if you require assistance booking a hotel.
Meeting materials will be available in advance for download, rather than provided in hard copy.
Please bring your laptop if you are attending the meeting in person so you can use the digital kit.
If you require a hard copy, please email [email protected] by February 8th, 2023.
Draft resolutions will be provided by email to delegates and will also be available in hard copy at the meeting for those attending in person.
If you would like to submit a resolution, please review the attached information regarding the UBCIC Resolutions Process as well as the attached resolution template for your use. The UBCIC Resolutions Process is also outlined at: www.ubcic.bc.ca/resolutions.
Draft resolutions and briefing notes, as well as any sectoral updates from First Nations
Organizations to be included in the kit, must be submitted by 4:00 pm on February 8th, 2023,
to [email protected].
A draft agenda will be provided on or before February 15th, 2023 and will incorporate directions on priority items provided by the Chiefs Council. If you would like to suggest an agenda item, please don’t hesitate to call 1-800-793-9701 or email [email protected].
The health and safety of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs members and staff is of utmost importance to the organization. As such:
- Do not attend the meeting in-person if you are ill. All registrants will be provided with a Zoom link, so please join the meeting that way if you are feeling at all unwell.
- While the need to show proof of vaccination is no longer necessary, masks will still be required, including on the bus to and from the meeting.
- We strongly recommend using N95/KN95 masks, rather than cloth masks, as these have been shown to provide higher protection against the omicron variant. UBCIC will provide these. Please ensure your mask is well-fitted.
- Masks should only be removed to eat and drink.
- There will be cleaning of the meeting space throughout the day. Hand sanitizer will be provided. Please use it before and after touching common touchpoints, eating, and drinking, and removing and putting on your mask.
- Please follow any other instructions provided during the meeting to ensure participant safety. Rapid tests will also be available onsite.
- Policy Director, Andrea Glickman [email protected]
- Admin and Research Director, Jody Woods [email protected]
- Office Manager, Mildred Chartrand [email protected]
- Registration Lead/Support, Angie Bain [email protected]
- Membership Clerk, Tracy Point [email protected]
- Proxy Letters/Support, Elena Pennell [email protected]
- Draft Resolutions/Briefing notes [email protected]
- River Rock Resort, Hotel reservation dept. [email protected]
- Proxy template letter
- Resolution template
- Resolutions process
- UBCIC membership letter (fiscal year April 1st, 2022, to March 31st, 2023)
- Election notice for UBCIC Vice-President, Secretary-Treasurer, Elder’s Representative, Women’s Representative, and Youth Representative
- Nomination forms for
- Second Notice