UBCIC 54th ANNUAL GENERAL ASSEMBLY (HYBRID)
FINAL NOTICE, REGISTRATION LINK, UPDATED AGENDA, DOOR PRIZES!
September 26th, 2022
Dear Chiefs Council, sister organizations, and friends:
We are pleased to advise that Grand Chief Stewart Phillip has been elected to the position of President of UBCIC through acclamation for his 9th consecutive term.
The UBCIC 54th Annual General Assembly (AGA) begins tomorrow and is September 27th - September 29th, 2022. The hybrid AGA will be at Musqueam Community Centre, xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Territory) with a virtual option via Zoom. Doors open at 7am each day, with breakfast provided at 7:30am. We invite meeting attendees to wear orange on September 29th in support of raising awareness on the ongoing intergenerational impacts of Indian Residential Schools. We will have cultural and emotional supports available onsite. Please register here, whether attending in-person or by Zoom, and reach out to [email protected] if you require assistance. A template proxy letter is attached. The meeting will follow all public health guidance regarding COVID-19.
On the morning of September 28th, Arnold Peters, UBCIC Finance Director, will be blanketed. Arnold has worked for UBCIC for 43 years and we welcome you to please join UBCIC in recognizing Arnold.
Because it is the AGA, we respectfully ask members to register and attend to address organizational business such as passing the audit and accepting minutes from the previous year, as well as setting mandates for the upcoming year. If you are unavailable, please send a proxy. Please contact Tracy Point ([email protected] or 604-831-4265) to renew your membership for the current fiscal.
During the AGA, the Chair will call for volunteers from the floor to participate in the Elections Appeal Committee and the Credentials Committee. 4 Door prizes will be drawn at the end of each day and include beautiful small bentwood boxes by Shain Jackson, a 10.2” iPad, a night out for two, and Pendleton picnic blankets.
Download Honouring Arnold Peters
INFORMATION TO ATTEND UBCIC 54TH ANNUAL GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Registration for In-Person and Virtual Attendance
Please PRE-REGISTER (https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0vduChrT0iHdGUTbwYsQitPiSlweKOGivw)
no later than 4:00 pm on September 25th, 2022, to receive your meeting link.
Everyone must pre-register for the UBCIC Annual General Assembly Zoom meeting.
Registration helps staff track and support meeting delegates (Chiefs, proxies, representatives), speakers and observers. Pre-registration is also required to receive a unique Zoom meeting link.
- Be sure to use an email address that you can access as needed. Only those who register in advance for the UBCIC Chiefs Council meeting will receive their unique Zoom meeting link via email. If you can’t find your link, please also check your junk mail.
- Upon registration, an email will be sent to you with your confirmation, and again on the day prior to the meeting. Please retain the email with the Zoom meeting link as it will be required to join the meeting. Please also check your junk folder as the confirmation emails occasionally end up there.
To recap Registration Confirmation: Once you have submitted the online registration form, you will receive an email within 48 hours indicating that your registration has been confirmed. The email will be sent from [email protected] under the subject line “UBCIC 54th ANNUAL GENERAL ASSEMBLY Confirmation”.
If you have indicated upon your registration that your community is not currently in good standing
(membership dues owing), please contact Tracy Point ([email protected])
or 1-604-831-4265) to arrange for payment.
Per the UBCIC Constitution and Bylaws, only members in good standing in the current fiscal year (April 1st, 2022, to March 31st, 2023) may speak from the floor or vote on resolutions brought forward during the meeting.
Registration Support: Please direct any registration questions or concerns to Angie Bain, Registration Lead ([email protected]). Angie and the registration team are also available for registration support during the meeting.
We encourage members to be prepared with a proxy letter in advance of the meeting, whether you are sending a proxy in case you need to step out briefly (and return later), or if you need a proxy to stand in for you throughout the entire meeting. In order for a registered proxy to enter and participate in the meeting, a proxy letter MUST be on file.
Attached is a proxy template letter for your convenience. You are welcome to put the wording on your own letterhead, OR you can copy, paste, and fill in the proxy letter directly into the body of an email to Elena Pennell ([email protected]). Please reach out to Elena if you have questions regarding proxy letters.
We are pleased to inform you the UBCIC will reimburse travel and accommodation costs for the Chief or the Chief's proxy for this AGA meeting, if you are attending in person. We have rooms reserved at the River Rock Resort (8811 River Road, Richmond BC V6X 3P8) under the Union of BC Indian Chiefs block.
Please RSVP and book your room as soon as possible as the hotel block is limited.
Reservations can also be made by calling the hotel’s reservation department at 604-247-8900 or toll free at 1-866-748-3718 or by email [email protected]. Please quote group confirmation “Union of BC Indian Chiefs Block”. Please contact Mildred Chartrand ([email protected]) if you require assistance booking a hotel.
Shuttle Bus Pick-Up Times (September 27, 28, 29)
River Rock Resort Musqueam Community Centre
8811 River Road, Richmond 6777 Salish Dr, Vancouver
7:30 a.m. After end of meeting
Meeting Materials & Resolutions
Meeting materials will be available in advance for download, rather than provided in hard copy.
Please bring your laptop if you are attending the meeting in person so you can use the digital kit.
If you require a hard copy, please email [email protected] by September 13th, 2022.
Draft resolutions will be provided by email to delegates and will also be available in hard copy at the meeting for those attending in person.
A draft agenda V1 is attached and incorporates direction on priority items provided by the Chiefs Council. If you would like to suggest an agenda item for an upcoming meeting, please don’t hesitate to call 1-800-793-9701 or email [email protected].
UBCIC is offering three chances to win at this year's AGA for Chiefs and Proxies. At the end of each day, the UBCIC will draw a name from among those attendance to win a selection of fantastic door prizes including an iPad, Pendleton picnic blankets, and a beautiful carved bentwood box by Shain Jackson.
Join the AGA each day for your chance to win!
The health and safety of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs members and staff is of utmost importance to the organization. As such:
- Do not attend the meeting in-person if you are ill. All registrants will be provided with a Zoom link, so please join the meeting that way if you are feeling at all unwell.
- While the need to show proof of vaccination is no longer necessary, masks will still be required, including on the bus to and from the meeting.
- We strongly recommend using N95/KN95 masks, rather than cloth masks, as these have been shown to provide higher protection against the omicron variant. UBCIC will provide these. Please ensure your mask is well-fitted.
- Masks should only be removed in order to eat and drink.
- There will be cleaning of the meeting space throughout the day. Hand sanitizer will be provided. Please use it before and after touching common touchpoints, eating and drinking, and removing and putting on your mask.
- Please follow any other instructions provided during the meeting to ensure participant safety. Rapid tests will also be available onsite.
- Policy Director, Andrea Glickman [email protected]
- Admin and Research Director, Jody Woods [email protected]
- Office Manager, Mildred Chartrand [email protected]
- Registration Lead/Support, Angie Bain [email protected]
- Membership Clerk, Tracy Point [email protected]
- Proxy Letters/Support, Elena Pennell [email protected]
- Draft Resolutions/Briefing notes [email protected]
- River Rock Resort, Hotel reservation dept. [email protected] 1-866-748-3718
- Proxy template letter
- Resolution template
- Resolutions process
- UBCIC membership letter (fiscal year April 1st, 2022, to March 31st, 2023)
- Notice for Presidential Election
- Nomination form for Presidential Election
6735 Salish Dr
Vancouver, BC V6N 4C6
Google map and directions
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook Twitter