updated February 11, 2017
The UBCIC Chiefs Council will be held at Musqueam Community Centre, xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Territory). We are pleased to inform you the UBCIC will reimburse travel and accommodation costs for the Chief or the Chief's proxy for this Chiefs Council Meeting. Please find a proxy template letter here if required. All Chiefs and proxies please RSVP below.
The final draft agenda is available for download.
Please call the Vancouver office at 1-800-793-9701 or email email@example.com to confirm your Nation is a Full Member in good standing.
February 8, 2017
Attention:Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs Members
Re:Election & Nominations for Active Member Positions
The extended nomination deadline for the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs (U.B.C.I.C) Active Member positions has now passed.
Youth Representative: Only one complete nomination package was received (with all nominators in good standing).
•Kyle Alec (Penticton Indian Band) is hereby declared elected by acclamation as the Youth Representative to the U.B.C.I.C. For your information, Kyle Alec’s one page candidate statement is attached.
No nominations were received for the positions of Women’s Representative or Elder’s Representative. ** I will seek direction from the Chief’s Council to open nominations from the floor at this Chief’s Council. **
Women’s Representative (a woman who is a member of one of the Indian Nations of British Columbia) and Elder’s Representative (at least 60 years old) must be (1) from a community which is a Full Member of the U.B.C.I.C. and (2) knowledgeable about the Aboriginal Title, Rights and Treaty Rights Mandate of the U.B.C.I.C.
The Election for Vice-President; Women’s and Elder’s Representative will occur:
Location:Musqueam Community Centre, xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Territory)
Date:Wednesday, February 15, 2017
Time:First ballot 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
Times for additional ballots, if required, will be set by the Chief Electoral Officer during the election.
Please be in touch with the U.B.C.I.C. if you have any questions about registration or membership at (604) 684- 0231 (Vancouver office) or (250)828-9746 (Kamloops office).
Ardith Walkem Barrister and Solicitor
February 1, 2017
Attention: UBCIC Members
Re: Executive and Active Member Positions, Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs (UBCIC)
1. Candidates for Vice-President
2. Acclamation of Secretary Treasurer
3. Extended Deadline for Active Member Positions: Women, Youth and Elders Representatives
Nominations have now closed for the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs Election for the Executive (Vice-President and Secretary-Treasurer) and Active Member positions (Women’s Representative; Elder’s Representative; Youth Representative).
VICE-PRESIDENT — THERE ARE THREE CANDIDATES FOR THE POSITION OF VICE-PRESIDENT:
- Bob Chamberlin, Kwicksutaineuk Ah-kwa-mish First Nation (biography)
- Ryan Day, Bonaparte Indian Band Secwepemc (biography)
- David Dennis, Huu-ay-aht (biography)
SECRETARY-TREASURER — ELECTED BY ACCLAMATION
There was only one candidate nominated for the position of Secretary-Treasurer. Chief Judy Wilson, Neskonlith Indian Band (biography), is declared elected by acclamation as Secretary- Treasurer of the UBCIC.
DEADLINE EXTENSION FOR ACTIVE MEMBER NOMINATIONS:
Active Member Positions: There were no valid nominations received for each of the Active Member positions. Accordingly, I have extended the deadline for nominations by one week, until February 8, 2017 at 4:30 pm.
NOMINATIONS HAVE BEEN EXTENDED UNTIL FEBRUARY 8, 2017 AT 4:30 FOR THE FOLLOWING POSITIONS:
1. ELDER’S REPRESENTATIVE - (at least 60 years old) - NOMINATION FORM
2. WOMEN’S REPRESENTATIVE - (a woman who is a member of one of the Indian Nations of British Columbia) - NOMINATION FORM
3. YOUTH REPRESENTATIVE - (between the ages of 19 and 30 years) - NOMINATION FORM
** Active Members must be from a community which is a Full Member of the U.B.C.I.C. and knowledgeable about the Aboriginal Title, Rights and Treaty Rights Mandate of the U.B.C.I.C.
Location: Musqueam Community Centre, xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Territory). Date: Wednesday, February 15, 2017
Time: First ballot 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
Times for any additional ballots, if required, will be set by the Chief Electoral Officer during the election and announced publicly at the AGA.
Original or Faxed Nomination forms must be submitted, attention Chief Electoral Officer, to one of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs’ offices, no later than 4:30 p.m., Wednesday, February 8, 2017.
Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs
5th Floor, 342 Water Street
Vancouver, B.C. V6B 1B6
FAX: (604) 684-5726
Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs
209 - 345 Chief Alex Thomas Way
Kamloops, B.C. V2H 1H1
FAX: (250) 828-0319
- Nominations must be endorsed by three Full Members in good standing (those who have paid their membership dues for the current year) of the U.B.C.I.C.
- Nomination forms must include a one page written statement (8.5 x 11, one-sided) that provides a profile of the candidate and sets out the candidate’s reasons for standing for election. (Candidates may also provide an electronic copy of the candidate statement in PDF or similar format to ensure a higher quality when the pages are distributed).
- It is the responsibility of each Band or Community to confirm that their membership dues are paid and that they are in good standing. Please be in touch with the U.B.C.I.C. directly if you have any questions about registration or membership, including whether membership dues are up to date for the current year, at (604) 684-0231 (Vancouver office) or (250)828-9746 (Kamloops office).
UBCIC Constitution and By-laws are online at: http://www.ubcic.bc.ca/constitution.
If you have any questions regarding the nomination process, please contact me at (604) 808-4077 or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
6735 Salish Dr
Vancouver, BC V6N 4C6
Google map and directions