William George Cox (1821-1878) is appointed gold commissioner and magistrate at Rock Creek. The following year, Cox works under the directive of James Douglas to mark out reserves in the Okanagan. Cox follows Douglas’ instruction to accommodate the boundaries set by the local Indigenous people and establishes a reserve of approximately six hundred square miles along the Thompson River in Kamloops. Cox’s reserve is one of the largest established in British Columbia thus far.
Harris, R. Cole. Making Native Space: Colonialism, Resistance, and Reserves in British Columbia. (Vancouver: UBC Press, 2002), 37-42.
Newell, G. R. “COX, WILLIAM GEORGE,” in Dictionary of Canadian Biography, vol. 10, University of Toronto/Université Laval (1972). Accessed March 7, 2021. http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/cox_william_george_10E.html.