UBCIC CHIEFS COUNCIL MEETING (IN PERSON AND VIRTUAL)
JUNE 2nd- JUNE 3rd, 2022
REGISTRATION INFO, DOOR PRIZES, BUS TIMES, DRAFT AGENDA
May 31, 2022
Dear Chiefs Council, sister organizations, and friends:
The UBCIC Chiefs Council meeting is this week- Thursday June 2nd and Friday June 3rd, 2022. The meeting will be held at Musqueam Community Centre, xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Territory)(6777 Salish Dr, Vancouver, BC V6N 4C6) and will follow all public health guidance and orders regarding COVID-19 safety. There will also be a virtual option to attend. Full meeting details are posted on our meeting website.
We are pleased to inform you the UBCIC will reimburse travel and accommodation costs for the Chief or the Chief's proxy for this Chiefs Council meeting. The room block we have at the River Rock Resort is now full. Please contact Mildred Chartrand ([email protected]) if you require assistance booking a hotel. Alternately, you will be able to participate by Zoom (via videoconference or phone). Because the meeting goes all day Thursday and all day Friday until 4pm, if you wish to stay in the hotel for Friday night as well, UBCIC is able to cover this cost, so that you can travel home Saturday morning.
Shuttle Bus Pick-Up Times (June 2, 3)
River Rock Resort Musqueam Community Centre
8811 River Road, Richmond 6777 Salish Dr, Vancouver
7:30 a.m. After end of meeting
Attached, please find the UBCIC membership letter for the 2022-23 fiscal year. Please contact Tracy Point ([email protected] or 604-831-4265) to renew your membership.
Please be prepared with a proxy letter in advance of the meeting, whether you are sending a proxy in case you need to step out briefly (and return at a later time), or if you need a proxy to stand in for you throughout the entire meeting. In order for a registered proxy to enter and participate in the meeting, a proxy letter MUST be on file. Attached is a proxy template letter for your convenience. You are welcome to put the wording on your own letterhead, OR you can copy, paste, and fill in the proxy letter directly into the body of an email to Elena Pennell ([email protected]). Please reach out to Elena if you have questions regarding proxy letters.
At the end of each day, UBCIC staff will draw a name from Chiefs and Proxies in attendance to win a selection of signed copies of:
- Standoff: Why Reconciliation Fails Indigenous People and How to Fix It, by Bruce McIvor and
- Rez Rules: My Indictment of Canada’s and America’s Systematic Racism Against Indigenous Peoples, by Chief Clarence Louie
- Calling My Spirit Back, by Elaine Alec
- Sage, cedar basket and cedar plaque bundle
- Handmade gifts
- $250 VISA gift card
Join the Chiefs Council each day for your chance to win!
Pre-registration: Everyone must pre-register for the UBCIC Chiefs Council meeting on Zoom, so that we have all registrations in a single place. When you register, you will indicate if you will be joining in person or virtually. Registration helps staff track and support meeting delegates (Chiefs, proxies, representatives), speakers and observers. Pre-registration is also required to receive a unique Zoom meeting link. In the event a delegate who planned to attend in person has personal circumstances that require a shift to virtual attendance, the unique Zoom link can be used to join remotely.
Please PRE-REGISTER here as soon as possible and no later than 4:00 pm on May 31st, 2022, to receive your meeting link. Be sure to use an email address that you can access as needed. Only those who register in advance for the UBCIC Chiefs Council meeting will receive their unique Zoom meeting link via email. This will be sent with your confirmation email and again the day prior to the meeting. Please retain the email with the Zoom meeting link as it will be required to join the meeting.
Registration Confirmation: Once you have submitted the online registration form, you will receive an email within 48 hours indicating that your registration has been confirmed. If you have indicated that your community is not currently in good standing (membership dues owing), please contact Tracy Point ([email protected] or 1-604-831-4265) to arrange for payment. Per the UBCIC Constitution and Bylaws, only members in good standing in the current fiscal year (April 1st 2022, to March 31st 2023) may speak from the floor or vote on resolutions brought forward during the meeting.
Registration Support: Please direct any registration questions or concerns to Angie Bain, Registration Lead ([email protected]). Angie and the registration team are also available for registration support during the meeting.
MEETING MATERIALS AND RESOLUTIONS
Draft resolutions will be provided by email to delegates and will also be available in hard copy at the meeting for those attending in person.
An updated draft agenda (V3) is attached for your review.
COVID-19 HEALTH AND SAFETY
Attached please find a detailed document outlining COVID-19 Safety Protocols for the Chiefs Council Meeting. The health and safety of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs members and staff is of utmost importance to the organization. As such:
- Do not attend the meeting in-person if you are ill. You will also be provided with a Zoom link, so please join the meeting that way if you are feeling at all unwell.
- While the need to show proof of vaccination is no longer necessary, masks will still be required, including on the bus to and from the meeting.
- We strongly recommend using N95/KN95 masks, rather than cloth masks, as these have been shown to provide higher protection against the omicron variant. UBCIC will provide these. Please ensure your mask is well-fitted.
- Masks should only be removed in order to eat and drink.
- There will be cleaning of the meeting space throughout the day. Hand sanitizer will be provided. Please use it before and after touching common touchpoints, eating and drinking, and removing and putting on your mask.
- Please follow any other instructions provided during the meeting to ensure participant safety. Rapid tests will also be available onsite.